Random Thoughts, Volume 19
1. This past Monday, 9/21, marked the 45th anniversary of the first Monday Night Football game. In an age revealing statement, I can remember saying to my friends, “Have you guys heard about this? They are going to have a football game on TV on Monday night!”
2. In the first Monday Night Football game of 2015, on 9/14/15, the announcers wore bright, yellow sports jackets which was the hall-mark of ABC announcers way back when. This was in honor of Frank Gifford, a hall-of-fame football player and an announcer on Monday Night Football for a good number of years. Frank passed away recently at the age of 80-something years of age. While I have nothing but respect for Frank Gifford and his memory, the yellow jackets made me laugh. They are the exact yellow jackets that made Jeff Spicoli ask “Hey, where’d ya get that jacket?” If you didn’t get that reference, you definitely need to watch the move “Fast Times at Ridgemont High.” In another line from the movie… “You won’t regret it.”
3. If anyone can get the TV networks to stop showing that “high-pitched-voice” Peyton Manning commercial, I would be very, very grateful.
4. My youngest son got a ticket for walking around a local beach town (Dewey Beach, DE) with an open container of alcohol. The fine is just enough to make him want to take a day off of work, drive the 80 miles to the beach, and fight the ticket. His strategy for his court case is this:
A. Go on a Wednesday. Rumor has it that the judge on duty on Wednesdays is the most lenient.
B. “The container was empty, Your Honor.” “It was empty?” Yes, Your Honor, right after the officer made me dump it out. Not until then did he give me the ticket, so yes, it was empty”
C. “I don’t know, Your Honor. That cop seemed pretty drunk to me.”
I asked him to please, if possible, video the proceedings.
5. “Jared”, the guy who made himself famous, and made millions of dollars, by losing weight while eating Subway products and doing their commercials, is now largely confined to his 13-room mini-mansion awaiting sentencing on charges of receiving and distributing child pornography and having sex with minors. His name is Jared Fogle and he has pleaded guilty and the plea deal will result in Jared spending 5 to 12 years in jail. He’s also battling health problems due to diabetes and obesity. I don’t make this stuff up. It was in last Sunday’s newspaper.
6. There was a 2nd debate among the Republican candidates that are running for the GOP nomination for president. While I was at my local casino playing cards, I had to ask the other players “We are not voting THIS November, right? It’s NEXT November, correct?” After being assured that it was, indeed, next November, it occurred to me that having these nationally televised debates so early is akin to the department stores putting up Christmas decorations right after Labor Day weekend.
7. I wonder why they call the people that report the weather on TV “meteorologists.” It’s been my observation that 99.95% of the time, they never mention meteors.
8. In my bowling league, the guy that I was bowling against was a right handed bowler. He got a strike by hitting the 1 – 2 pocket instead of the 1 – 3 pocket. An observer from the back shouted “You’re on the wrong side.” My opponent, a funny guy, retorted “Hey, this is 2015. You can’t say that stuff anymore.”
9. I don’t usually talk about politics because there is never a “right” answer. There is only what you believe. I gotta say this, though. While I can’t understand how leaving the financial sanctions in place against Iran can lead to war, I can understand how freeing up 150 billion dollars and giving Iran 24 days notice before a coalition of countries can inspect anything can lead to a nuclear-armed Iran.
10. The Nintendo Company was founded in 1889. You can look it up.
11. I have been playing a lot of golf. I don’t know why I don’t get better at it. Be that as it may, I’m going to have a custom golf shirt made that says “Bushwood Country Club.” If you didn’t get THAT reference, you are one of the 3% of people that never saw the movie “Caddyshack.” As long as you don’t live in New Castle County, Delaware, then you are free to do the same. Actually, if you don’t play at Delcastle Golf Course, you are free to do the same. In reality, I guess I can’t stop you from doing whatever you want. Aw, what the hell….everybody should get one.
That’s all I’ve got for now. Feel free to resume your normally scheduled lives. As always, thanks for reading.