Random Thoughts….Volume 18
1. I was behind a car yesterday that had a sign that said “Novice Driver.” The driver got in the left turn lane and made a left without using the turn signal. I thought, “OK. You can take that sign down now. You are fully qualified. We don’t use those things here in Delaware.”
2. Also yesterday, I was behind a car at the red light. The light turned green and the car in front of me did not move for a full 5 seconds so I beeped the horn. As I passed the car, the 45 year old woman gave me the finger. Nice.
3. I went to the grocery store. Celery, the only thing I needed, was on sale. It is normally $2 and was on sale for $1. It takes so little to make me happy.
4. My buddy is in the early stages of a divorce. He has developed a healty dislike for his estranged wife. In my humble opinion, and based on my observations of friends who have gone through divorces, she’s his Fairy Godmother now compared to the way he’s gonna feel about her in 6 months or so.
5. I heard it again today. I love the song entitled “Hotel Caifornia” by the Eagles. I know every note and every lyric and I sing along with it when I’m in the car. After all these years, I realize I still don’t have a clue about what they are trying to say or what it’s about. It doesn’t stop me from liking it, though.
6. Why do my bare feet always find those metal casings around the plastic wheels on my bed? If you’ve ever kicked one of those things, isn’t it amazing how creatively we can curse ? How old do you have to get before you remember that they are there ?
7. Some of my friends and relatives would probably tell you that I am a bit “eccentric.” Like many people, I throw my spare change into a jar or bowl or whatever. It’s just that I never seem to get around to taking it to the bank. My latest “canister” that got filled up is a giant empty can of “Slim Jims.” It actually is a bank since it has a slit in the top of the can. I don’t know where I got it. The can is 9.5 inches high and 3.5 inches in diameter. Now, filled with coins, it weighs 10 pounds. That’s a lot of coins.
8. My beloved Philadelphia Phillies have been trading away their most veteran players and getting mostly minor league prospects in return. I could write a whole paper about that but I won’t. For the most part, I like what the Phils have done. I will tell you that the Phils traded one of the most revered and beloved Phillies of all time, Chase Utley, to the Dodgers and they got two minor league prospects in return. One of the prospects was a TOP pick in the Dodgers minor league system. Well, the Dogers are so good and the Phillies are so bad that this top pick, last name Sweeney, was immediately promoted to the Phillies major league club, basically, taking Chase Utley’s spot. Sweeney is so new that I don’t even know his first name. In his first at bat with the Phillies, which was also his first major league at bat with anybody, he hit a home run. Would you like to guess who also hit a home run years ago in HIS first major league at bat? Chase Utley, that’s who. How great is that ?
That’s all I’ve got for now. As always, thanks for reading.