Random Thoughts…..Volume 12
1. I know people in New England and the midwest don’t want to hear me bitch about the cold especially since, in my part of the mid Atlantic coastal region, we have not had any significant snow. However:
A. Last night it was about 17 degrees with 30 mph winds….wind chill -12.
B. Tonight is 10 degrees but no wind so it actually feels warmer.
C. I always feel bad for homeless people. If they can’t get into a shelter, how dow they
survive nights like these ?
D. I have my heater set on 67. I also have an electric space heater that sits next to me. I have
a wool cap on and I still can’t stay warm.
E. The forecast is for 8 – 12 inches of snow in the next few days.
F. There are 5 full weeks of Winter left until Spring.
G. I hate Winter.
2. As I type this, I am watching the PGA golf that I recorded on TV this afternoon. It is being played at the Pebble Beach course in the Carmel / Montery area of California. All of the golfers are in short sleeves and many of the spectators are wearing shorts. The announcers just won’t let up on what a GORGEOUS day it is. People were even swimming in the ocean. It is pissing me off.
3. I’m also feeling very old all of a sudden this week. The networks are:
A. Showing the 40th anniversary show of TV’s Saturday Night Live. I remember the hype and I remember watching the first episode. I remember the advertising and thinking “Wow. They are going to do a live TV show. That’s pretty risky.”
B. Airing, last night, what I think was the first episode of Saturday night live. Although the episode was old , the commercials were current. At least two different times, they showed a commercial for Trojan lubricating oils. Both commercials were the same. They want you to buy an oil that you put on for the “Pre-Game” which helps arousal and then you are supposed to apply the other lubricant that they called “The Main Event.” Do they know their audience, or what ? If it was the first episode, then Chevy Chase has the honor of being the first to say “Live, from New York, It’s Saturday Night !”
C. Still talking about Super Bowl 49. I remember the hype before the first one and thinking “Hey, great !!! There is something coming on called the “Super Bowl.”
D. Still showing Monday Night Football. I can remember thinking “What?” They are going to play an NFL game on Monday night?” That was 44 years ago.
4. I feel like I retired about 2 years ago. It will be 5 years already at the end of next month.
5. I don’t care about the NBA or the All-Star game but I happened to catch the highlights of the 3-point shootout. Steph Currey, a great player from the Golden State Warriors, won it. He made 13 consecutive 3-pointers. They are under a time limit, too. They fire up a shot and don’t even watch it. They have to turn and grab a new ball so 13 in a row is quite impressive.
6. Fat Tuesday is coming up in 2 days so go head and pig out. It is the day before Mardi Gras and, for Catholics, it is the day before Ash Wednesday which signals the beginning of their “Lent” season. Old time Catholics observe dietary restrictions during Lent so use the excuse, even if you are not Catholic, to eat as much as you want.
7. The picture associated with this story is the mailbox of the sister of a friend. God help the poor folks of New England.
8. That’s all I have for now. Please feel free to resume your normally scheduled lives.